[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Aberdeen Playfair

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aberdeen Playfair
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:42 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I have this old double...like to get any info..

Post subject: Re: Aberdeen Playfair
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:46 am 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:42 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

or at least a standard dissertation any college kid might think to submit fer his doctorate , its the least we need to even make a legitimate comment other than "nice gun" ..........

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:26 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Ok Ok I read you loud and clear...guess that is why I am still a PFC....It is an old beater..A fellow came by and offered me $50.00 for it.. I was just trying to find out..who is playfair ???

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:17 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....I just googled "aberdeen playfair shotgun" and got a wide variety of stuff on them-pics and prices.....dunno if its the same as what you have though... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

that was what i would have done as well , i suspect a guy doing his own research might be quite pleased with himself ,

while i may be sounding a tad bit less than my usual helpful self , i find it most rewarding to help someone who has attempted the normal channels and offers that up to set things off ,

without a photo e have no idea what condition this is in and cannot begin to help past marios suggestion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:52 am 
Mushroom Maniac
Mushroom Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:50 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

OK..guess you fellows are trying to be nice??.. I also googled it and found..( and this is tough for me to do as I am a old critter 84 next birthday and me and computers do not mix well) Charles a Playfair was a Scot. I was thinking even as a old beater with hammers and all...just a wall hanger should go for more tha 50 bucks..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:43 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:09 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

I am pretty techno challenged myself so I feel your pain, but am teaching myself as I go along, you can do it, just bang away on the old key board, ask questions and where better to learn about 'puters than the net? It is full of geeks who love to show how much smarter than us they are , do a search read and learn, that's what I am doing slowly but surely.

As to your question I did a quick search and I can't tell what shape it is in so it is hard to judge but I found an auction or 2 and have put some links up for you to check out. Are you sure it is a shotgun? Because I see they also made a double rifle, any way here is what I found hope it helps.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/print ... um=9161476

http://www.pugsguns.com/findItem.action?id=1615

Hollis Bentley & Playfair, LONDON, SLE, 2 1/2" 27" choked IC/Mod. 14 7/8" moderately figured wood to 1/2" ebonite butt plate. Bar action with beaded fences has gone grey and features fine scroll and floral engraving. 6lbs 6oz. A fine handling sidelock. Includes a leather and canvas case.
Sold
Picture

$6800

5 Image(s) Bentley & Playfair 12 Gauge Sidelock Ejector 965896414

B Misc Shotguns
Bentley & Playfair 12 Gauge Sidelock Ejector. the action on this gun is tight and the Ejectors are well timed. The trigger pulls are crisp and the action is silver with 80% coverag... (read more)
Seller: Willoughby McCabe Co $4,200.00

As you can see pics would really help but if you have a Bently & Playfair it could be worth a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

this is more than i found , i became frustrated with it and actually owe yardbird an apology and no i think it not a sign of weakness when im wrong ,

i did start to get the feeling that the bbls would be damascus and yes i was thinking a wall hanger , parts will be a problem , and restoration may not actually result in a piece worth more than that , in excellent condition i think a big price tag ,

guess my shortness revolved around how many questions i came upon by those who didnt even attempt to look for themselves , its not like me , im sorry to have been testy ,

if i find anything further i shall post it , for now i cannot be of more help ,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:37 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant