[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - ...the Hunley...finally full views

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ...the Hunley...finally full views
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:40 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...they finally removed all the junk they had around it supporting it since it was raised....nice pics-and links to more...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/new-vie ... r-in-2000/

Post subject: Re: ...the Hunley...finally full views
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:44 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

What a death trap! SW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

fantastic post , i had seen where she had been raised and was in process of preservation , i did not see the story of interment of the valant souls lost , and i did not see the story that should have been written of their valor ,

these were americans , yes not as some might see as patriotic , but after nearly 150 years - its time to respect them as just that , a very vital part of our history and respected for what they did in their american beliefs , they were just democrats after all

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:13 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:33 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

tell me ET that would have been a good assignment ......

my deceased FIL who went under the pole on the nautilus might well have had second thoughts presented with that rig - in that time , im not so certain the sailors of the day were not staunchly committed to surface service ....

but it was the dawn of a new era - one that today is common place , yet i still think extra thanks are vin order to those that serve in the silent service

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:33 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Well seeing that it sank (unintentionally) twice prior, it may not have been the best 'billet' in the CS Navy, but those men were dedicated to a cause & probably knew they might not return :-?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:10 am 

"Bubbleheads ain't skurred of anything."

Did you know the Brits had a steam powered sub in WW1? It did not work out well. Not many survived it. SW

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:09 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Didn't know that. Did know that Germany introduced the Diesel/Electric 'boot' in 1912.

Germany had a Sub that sunk on it's first sea-trials in 1850. It was man powered by a crew of 3 & designed to stop a Dutch naval blockade.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:50 pm 

I did read that the WW1 Kraut subs were called "pig boats". For a reason. SW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:45 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

If you went into the chief's quarters (goat locker) on ours you would know why :lol

I hated doing wake up call in there......made your eyes burn :-o

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:30 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

You submariners have my respect. Not a thing I could do myself. I'll step out of an airplane or chopper with a parachute but not lock myself up in a steel tube. That takes a special something I don't have.