[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - argie carbine,, remove paint or leave alone ?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:00 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Morning ,
i have an arg engineers carbine in good shape BUT it looks like the importers painted it years ago i quess to make them more attractive to the civilian market.
My "problem " is do i remove this stuff and get it back to original (whether it be missing blue or not) or should i just leave well alone ?.
I'm on the fence here but i might be falling off on the side of removal.
what yall think?.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:23 am 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

If it was mine....I'd try and do the best careful strip down and refurb I could... :Dbounce: ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:13 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Sometimes you find a very nice piece of wood under the paint. I'd remove it if it was mine. I just took the paint an varnish off an uncommon Carcano & it turned out just fine. The paint stripper left the beech a very light color, but BLO darkened it nicely.

You can still see splotches of varnish. I didn't want to get too carried away since this is an uber-scarce post-war TS from 1919. Didn't want to monkey up the PM brand, either. I was told it might relate to a certain submarine, but since it was made after the war, I lean more toward it being a police mark of some sort. I've posted these pics on an Italian site but nobody seems to know. SW

zTS 005 (800x217).jpg
zTS 005 (800x217).jpg [ 146.11 KiB | Viewed 9353 times ]

zTS 003 (530x640).jpg
zTS 003 (530x640).jpg [ 294.49 KiB | Viewed 9353 times ]

zTS 002 (800x380).jpg
zTS 002 (800x380).jpg [ 205.67 KiB | Viewed 9353 times ]

zTS 003 (414x500).jpg
zTS 003 (414x500).jpg [ 202.33 KiB | Viewed 9353 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Think he may be talking about the metal not the wood.

If it is a true carbine I would be tempted. However importers were known to hack down long rifles into carbines & paint the metal to hide their handiwork. If it's one of these, I would just leave the paint. The size of the rear sight will tell you if it's real or a hack job.

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:57 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....I think he means mebbe both....reminds me of when the K98RC's were first coming in and everyone was debating whether or not to strip off that nasty Ruski blackish "blueing" to see if there was any nice original German blue left underneath...with careful stipping some of the one that had it came out very nicely.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

hi fella'sthe pesky paint is on the metal , it's almost black and really fake looking so i got to work on it and well there is wear but it's alot better than the paint job some alian did on it.
At least it's back to how it should look for a 110 year old.[img][IMG]http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad247/adrians501/engineerpaint001-1.jpg[/img][/img]

if this pic comes out you will see the paint job. :twisted:
DIDN'T WORK ,,,,BUMMER, WILL TRY AGAIN.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:18 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Lets try again,,,
[img]engineer%20paint%20001.JPG[/img]
O.K thats better .

Attachments:
engineer paint 001.JPG
engineer paint 001.JPG [ 327.92 KiB | Viewed 9347 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

its a very fine looking specimin - i know nothing of these so others must tell you if its been messed about with , but i like the looks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:44 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

thanks A square 10,
for some reason i have drifted away from collecting the long rifles and now all i seem to bring home are the little iddy biddy ones, i hope there is a cure for my shortcomings cos i love the big-uns too .
:twisted: :duel: :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:05 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

If that's the before pic, where's the after pic? I know I have one that has been arsenal refinished but not with paint. It still has the crest.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:10 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Et2ss,
That is a before pic.
The poor thing is all over my gun/loading room right now.
After stripping with that bio-degradable orange stuff then cleaning up with acetone and then doing it again and again it finally left me with decent looking color, the original blue is prolly 80% intact except for the nosecap which could use a touch up but i aint going to bother .
Why did these freaks paint a perfectly good looking rifle ????? .
It blows me away just wondering what they were thinking.
When i get it back in one piece I'll try to remember how to post a pic and get it on here.
This baby still has her crest also.
later . :twisted: :Dbounce: :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:04 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It could have been similar to the russian philosophy, paint to preserve for long time storage? Easier to bring back into service without cleaning out tons of cosmoline? Just a guess here. It is possible the importers did it but that would have been a time consuming task if you are trying to move a boatload of surplus.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:59 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I believe the importers did this to some argies long ago to make them "more attractive to the civilian market".
thats just a WAG but a couple of other owners have told me that there arg has this "protection " on them.
I looked all over my rifle but could not find an importers stamp anywhere,
makes me wonder :-?
Adrian. :twisted: :Dbounce: :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:58 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

"....i hope there is a cure for my shortcomings cos i love the big-uns too ....."

i think its just further complications of the disease you already are afflicted with , there is no cure , one just has to resolve to live with it ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:31 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

I have one of these.
But it has never been painted.
BRGDS, A

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:48 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General