[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - seeking help identifying a mauser

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:38 pm 
Major
Major

Of course then you have to get into British Enfields and Mosin Nagants. :jmp:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:18 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:53 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Looking at the pics it is a SA contract Mauser that was converted to 30-06. The crest seems to have been scrubbed so can't tell what country did the conversion

Edit: according to your first post perhaps a Brazilian Mauser if this is the B in a diamond you described (could be a lightly struck star instead of a diamond)

I also found this cartouche on a Brazilian listed on an auction site

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:25 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Et2ss, Thanks for the input ! The second pic that you posted matches mine . I have only seen that stock stamp one other place on the net besides my rifle until your post . Please tell me more !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:42 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u49 ... 010012.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:36 pm 
Major
Major

Oberndorf. M1908 mauser? DWM owned the factory. This was probably a conversion from 7mm?
The two Cs are more than likely Greek omegas that DWM used.

Possibly sold by Springfield Sporters.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

This could be a converted 1908 which would have been built originally by DWM in Germany. This is a large ring (strong) action

These conversions were done at Itajubá Arsenal

You could easily find another complete stock and restore it to military trim.
The bolts were bent during the covnersion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:27 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

So that would make it a m1908/34 ??? Someone had said the small C 's and F prefix serial number would indicate Columbia . Know anything on that ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:01 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The 1908/34 was a carbine where I think yours still has the longer barrel length? A measure would tell for sure. I will have to dig out my references for prefixes, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:22 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Barrel length = 23.25 " (dry fired,inserting rod and measuring it)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:23 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

rifle length = 43.375" (top of butt to top of muzzle)
= 43 " (bottom of butt to bottom of muzzle)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:25 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Et2ss, thanks . What book would that be ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:04 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

OK I'm stumped. I have no references on Brazilian Mausers. All the 1908, 08-34, And M954 pictures DO NOT have the nip in the front receiver ring. Wher as the Columbian conversions I have seen do

Rad??? I know he has Mauser references to solve this mystery.

Are there any markings on the side rail? (lh side)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:18 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Has a mix of Columbia and Brazil . As far as I know there is no history on that . I made a new post about the stock stamping . It seems to be rare . Figured start with that and than go from there . Appreciate the effort !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The Book I have only lists Brazilians in the "Lesser Pattern" section on Mausers, no real detail. There were references to FN, Radom and even CZ supplying arms to Brazil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:03 am 
The Knife
The Knife

The 08/34 is a short rifle, not a carbine. The rifle seems to be a composite put together of SA parts. The main reference I have MMROTW.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:34 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

went to the range .
she 's not bad for a collection of parts .
Kicks like a donkey and barks like a dog .

Very cool gun . Shot pretty tight pattern , but all high . Than I tried compensating and compensated too much , all low .

Once I get use to using these sights it should be good .

Thanks all

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:48 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

You can get taller front sights and you can file them down to zero in.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:10 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Thanks Rad , Where is a good place to buy them ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:20 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Just did a google and came up with these.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... roduct=714

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=341/ ... IGHT-BLANK

http://e-sarcoinc.com/swedmsrhighfrontsight.aspx

That will get you started.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member