Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:24 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I recently acquired this sweetheart and have some questions maybe an expert can help me with. This is an all matching rifle in very good shape. The only negative with it is a badly butchered duffle cut and clumsy repair.

My first question concerns the serial number. I noticed that on the receiver the serial is preceeded by a large letter "F". Is this a block number ala german weapons or something else? I noticed that on the shroud are only numerals, no "F".

Second, how does one find production dates among the dearth of 1889 Belgian info available online?

Lastly, which bayonets fit this rifle?

Thanks for the help.

P.S. Anyone know of any pictures of the sling attachment which went into this fitting on the buttstock?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:10 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Here's a bayonet: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11568

Other than the Hopkins & Allen Belgian Mausers - of which roughly 250,000 were made - I can only speak in generalities. Generally speaking, not many of these have survived due in no small part to the harsh conditions of WW1.

I wouldn't worry too much about the duffel cut - it's all part of the rifle's history.

There was a lengthy thread about this model on the Marlin Collectors site, but after a crash, it no longer survives.

If you'd like to load for it, I have a set of dedicated 7,65 Belgian Mauser dies you can just have for the postage = a fiver. SW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:06 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice looking rifle , i cannot see the duffle cut in your photos - must not be all that bad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:45 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Well I repaired the duffle cut to my standards which are much higher than whoever did the original. As for it being part of the history, I guess that is true however there is no reason to do any job poorly! This particular cut seemed to be done with too course of saw blade and ripped a chunk of wood from the right side at the band. I can't figure out why the chunk wasn't picked up and glued back? I could have lived with that. The weapon shot terribly with 40 rounds of PPU 174gn .311, all over the target @ 50 yds. I loaded some gas-checked 205gn .312 lead bullets with 18gn of SR4759 and that stuff shoots great in it! It is not a tack driver but @ 100 yds. I can keep all rounds on a 10" target even with my old eyes. :-o

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:58 pm 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

I found in some of my research materials other examples of this rifle. The "F" is part of the serial number. Use of letters in the serial numbers has been used by other manufacturers and on other models. Minor parts often only contain last 3 or 4 numbers of serials as there was not always room for full number.

You do have a very nice looking rifle there.