[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Start My New Year Right!

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Start My New Year Right!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:24 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

My new Finn M27.
Mosin Nagant # 15....at least for a little bit.

Post subject: Re: Start My New Year Right!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:57 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

How is it different than a M39? They look alike.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:01 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

That's because the picture is an M39

Closest to that would be an 28-30 but they have the one piece front cap and a straight stock.

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:47 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I was checking a few out on GB and couldn't tell the difference myself. I do have a M39 and like it very much, although I have an former 91/30 1943 Izzy sniper I like as well. My Polish M-44 "Elvis" is the most fun to shoot though. Nothing beats flames belching from your rifle.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

This will help with your ID

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:37 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Last edited by gandog56 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:43 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I picked up a M91 with a Tikka barrel last week. Cracked stock, but the price was fair. I intend to shoot it and the crack can be fixed, so its perfect for me. 1898 Tula receiver and 1940 Tikka stock. I might have the stock professionally repaired, but I'm debating that right now.

My M39 is bedded with a raised front sight for 100 yard POA. I was firing it standing up and it was like shooting a .22lr at steel gongs at 50 and 100 yards. I wasn't missing often at 10" square 1/4 inch thick plate. That was pretty fun.

Passed on a B barrel M39 recently. I think the money is now a S&W model 10 retired police revolver. I could have done worse, much worse.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:06 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mark,

I would seek the professional advice of Hogger on tips for stock repair. He can key you in on the right techniques to stabilize that crack while preserving the 'history' in that stock.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:28 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

3rd time a charm? Now I won an auction for an M27....AGAIN! This one ended up at $299. It is strange though. The seller says it has an M27/30 stock. That's OK with me. Then he said he thinks it's a New England Westinghouse receiver. I find that odd, but OK also. Anyways waiting for the invoice. And I just supposedly sold a set of Crimson Trace Laser grips for a 1911 for $200. (Money order supposedly sent already) So with that money, only cost me $99 + 30 bucks shipping.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:48 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I think I might have the stock professionally repaired down the road. Not real confident in my abilities right now. She's too valuable to me to screw up.

Oh, the tang should have some marks on it to tell you who made the M27. I think I might have been following that auction.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:54 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:47 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I have a Remington bolt on my Westinghouse as well.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:56 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Makes me kind of wonder if New England Westinghouse was buying a few Remington parts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I'm guessing the armorer wanted to keep US parts together as they were judged either superior or inferior to Russian ones. Mine was used by the Finns, so I would guess they might have valued US made guns.

Best Regards,

Mark