[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Steam powered submarines

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steam powered submarines
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:28 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_K_class_submarine

Maybe the Hunley wasn't so bad afterall. :-o SW

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Wow they weren't all that small either @ 338'. The Los Angeles class (of which I was on one) was 360'

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:51 pm 

I suspect the coal bunkers took up a lot of room. SW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Makes you wonder why they went steam when others were already onto diesel? Logistics maybe?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:09 pm 

I think the idea was that a steam powered sub could keep up with the fleet on maneuvers.

The oldtimers were so set in their ways, they couldn't see the possibilities. Can you imagine submarines at Jutland? The admiralty sure couldn't imagine them sneeking into Scapa Flow. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:58 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Once agin I am showing my lack of understanding of the under sea service but, the idea of a steam powered submarine is no more logical (to me at lest) than having one with screen doors on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:31 pm 

Speed was the primary issue. In theory a steam powered sub was faster than a diesel. Keep in mind diesel engines and the kind of batteries a sub needs were emerging technology at the time.

An issue that should have concerned everyone was carbon monoxide. No... I'd rather have been a grunt in Flanders than on a steam sub. Actually, life expectancy wasn't that far apart. SW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:09 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Ah yes! The 'K' for calamity boats. They were intended to keep up with the battle fleet and primarily intended for scouting duties. They were oil fired and could IIRC submerge in something like 8 minutes. My WW1 copy of Conway's isn't handy right now or I would give more detailed specs on them. Needless to say, they killed more Englishmen than germans.

"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

only one enemy engagement and the torpedo failed to explode out of 18 boats , and six sunk by accident - not a real great record ,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:11 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

My totally unreliable sub book says 23 knots surfaced, 9 submerged.
Steam turbine/electric motors. It also had three 4" deck guns. Next pages mentions these boats had advanced communications gear and could send morse code messages.

On opposite page, German U-9 has four kerosene engines/electric motors and had to have a dismountable funnel. It did take out three slow moving and obsolete cruisers in 1914. At least it was fast so the book says. Advanced for its time. 14 knots surfaced, 8 submerged.

How both of these boats hid their smoke from the enemy remains to be seen. Perhaps they went electric on the surface and did some scouting from afar?

Remember, this book is a pure comic book to what Enfield Shooter has. His costs real money, mine, more like pocket change at 1/2 Price Books.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:20 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Mark,

My Conway's may be a better reference but it's of no use now as it's in an unaccessable
location. Your book is right at hand and thus much better.

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:46 am 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

......I guess they didnt make "Jane's Fighting Ships of the World" back then... :lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:50 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Mine is like "Jims Book Of Sinky Boats". Perhaps good in a pinch, not much else.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:40 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....I was bein' serious :-o

http://www.ihs.com/products/janes/defen ... ships.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:08 pm 

Found a few pics. Looking around, there are some real monstrosities among emerging submarine technology. I didn't look far enough to see how the Turk experiment worked out.

I still say carbon monoxide from the boiler would be more hazardous to crew than depth charges. SW
ss4.jpg
ss4.jpg [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 11425 times ]

ss2.jpg
ss2.jpg [ 21.17 KiB | Viewed 11425 times ]

ss3.jpg
ss3.jpg [ 52.47 KiB | Viewed 11425 times ]

Attachments:
ss7.jpg
ss7.jpg [ 97.09 KiB | Viewed 11425 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:52 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

I have a copy of Janes for 1918. It has pretty pictures and lots of words, some of which may be accurate. You are better served with looking at British or German recognition charts. They are, for the most part, exceedingly accurate. I have a copy of the Admiralty recognition tables for the German Navy. A very different picture than that presented by Janes. The other reliable source is a series of books by Conways. The edition for WW1 covers 1905 to 1922. Unfortunately it's out of print and any that come available won't be given away.

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:07 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

what purpose does that enlarged bow serve ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:01 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:27 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

The enlarged bow was likely designed for operating on the surface is rough seas. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I think that is a K-class.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:46 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i guess that makes logical sense , but i was wondering if there was a munitions aspect - stacked torpedo tubes and racks of fish or even an ice breaking/ramming aspect ?