[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Uncommon marks

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uncommon marks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:13 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

The "CE" mark shown here was applied to **some but not all** M.95 Steyrs Italy got from Austria as WW1 reparations. I believe it's for "colonial army". As seen here, it's not a prominent mark and is often overlooked.

It's worth a premium over standard M.95s How much? Depends how badly you need one for your collection! ;) Always look for it. SW

0.mark1.jpg
0.mark1.jpg [ 121.05 KiB | Viewed 16687 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:47 pm 

I haven't seen this ABH mark before. Seller claims it's from Yugoslavia, but it's seen in conjunction with the Greek VVV so I'm not entirely convinced. I'll check around about it. SW

0.mark2.jpg
0.mark2.jpg [ 75.1 KiB | Viewed 16676 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:42 am 

This one is darn scarce - like it's the only one I've ever seen & I look for marks like this every day. The steel vendor here is V which is for Vickers. Very, very unusual!

I'd bid but the long rifle was cut down into a "Suprema" by a brain dead importer back in the 60s. :evil: :X SW

0.mark2.jpg
0.mark2.jpg [ 74.48 KiB | Viewed 16608 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:51 pm 

I'm not sure about this one. It's not very well-stamped & could mean anything or nothing. But we can't just guess and exclude it because it wasn't done neatly.

"RS" is shown as stamped on a 10.4 caliber Vetterli. Should anyone see another mark like this, please post it - we might be able to draw a conclusion or two. SW

0.mark3.jpg
0.mark3.jpg [ 70.67 KiB | Viewed 16590 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:34 pm 

Here's another steel vendor code you don't see very often. C is for Cogne.

I think the reason we don't see it much is that the Cogne foundry was near iron mines in the very NW part of Italy. The mines were closed in the 1970s. SW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogne

0.mark4.jpg
0.mark4.jpg [ 84.07 KiB | Viewed 16576 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:55 am 

This mark was found on an AOI Vetterli. DAR is a less commonly used refurb mark from the Roma arsenal. SW

0.mark5.jpg
0.mark5.jpg [ 97.15 KiB | Viewed 16548 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:43 pm 

I've never seen an anchor like this before. It's not consistent with any Italian anchor I've encountered... since it's one of the CAI imports it might be from the Albanian navy.

Very unusual! SW

0.mark6 (1024x503).jpg
0.mark6 (1024x503).jpg [ 259.92 KiB | Viewed 16531 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:18 pm 

This is one of the less often seen Gardone marks. Fabbrica d'Armi Regio Esercito Gardone. (Royal Army arms factory Gardone) SW

0.mark7.jpg
0.mark7.jpg [ 53.35 KiB | Viewed 16530 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:59 pm 

Unknown to the seller, this is actually a TS by Napoleone & Vittorio Castelli. We see this from their signature diamond with initials on the barrel flat normally used to show the year it was made. NeVCB put together a few TS during the interwar years. Only 30 or so are known to exist.

I sent the pic to a friend in Italy who maintains a substantial data base & he tells me the serial number falls outside the known Castelli range.

Which opens the possibility Castelli made replacement barrels. That would be new information for the collecting community.

I should probably bid, but it has been roughly sporterized & has a deer carved onto the sanded stock. That & the seller is a trifle proud of it. SW

0.nevcb1.jpg
0.nevcb1.jpg [ 55.15 KiB | Viewed 16487 times ]

0.nevcb3.jpg
0.nevcb3.jpg [ 71.96 KiB | Viewed 16487 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:42 pm 

Here's another example of a "deko" rifle from Germany. As mentioned earlier, if there are holes drilled in the barrel, the gun is considered deactivated. In this case, a milling cut was made as shown & is hidden by the handguard. SW

0000.mark1.jpg
0000.mark1.jpg [ 186.02 KiB | Viewed 15512 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:59 pm 

This is a well done example of a "guild gun" made during the interwar years - mostly by Austrian gunsmiths. If you have a chance to buy something like this with a double set trigger, closely inspect the stock. So much wood needs to be removed for the DST to work the stock often shatters. SW

**the scope is a bit far back for my taste**

0000.mark2.jpg
0000.mark2.jpg [ 192.79 KiB | Viewed 15512 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:14 pm 

This is yet another variation of the Bavaria Rural Police mark. Be very careful about spending too much for one of these. SW

0000.mark3.jpg
0000.mark3.jpg [ 276.47 KiB | Viewed 15512 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:49 pm 

There's an unusual stamp on this bajonet I am not able to identify. I have a guess, but guesses don't get us very far. As usual, I'll leave it here for comments or further information. SW

0000.marking1.jpg
0000.marking1.jpg [ 66.68 KiB | Viewed 14772 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:40 pm 

I decoded this mark by a "connecting the dots". While looking through my parts pile for something else, I found this cav carbine with 3 dots as shown.

greek 004.JPG
greek 004.JPG [ 973.23 KiB | Viewed 14582 times ]

What could they mean?? I looked through my collection card file and found another cav carbine with 3 dots.(list all uncommon marks on your collection card file!) It also has the Greek 'E' showing it has been opened up to 6,5 Mannlicher cartridge.

GreekEDots.jpg
GreekEDots.jpg [ 388.44 KiB | Viewed 14582 times ]

I tried a 6,5 Mannlicher round in the first cav carbine, and it chambered easily!

So do all Greek Carcanos altered for 6,5x54 have the 3 dots? No - that would make things too easy! (Apparently all don't have the E, either.) But enough of them do, that I believe the 3 dots are a Greek mark and if you have one you should check chamber dimensions.

I'm willing to bet a canned beverage it will easily hold a 6,5 Mannlicher round!

My theory is that a simple punch was used when the E stamps on hand had all been broken against heat treated receivers.

Like this M91 long rifle with two poorly-struck E marks. A die like that can only take so much abuse, and they ain't cheep! SW
M91Greek.jpg
M91Greek.jpg [ 243.25 KiB | Viewed 14582 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:12 pm 

Here's one you will probably never see again... "For God and Ulster". On an 1870/87 Italian Vetterli.

There has always been friction between Northern Ireland and England. At one point the "Ulster Volunteers" and other Irish wishing to become free from England bought various arms from a shady German arms dealer, Benny Spiro. (I'm not making this up)

Part of the package was 10,000 Italian Vetterlis in 10.4x47R caliber and a million rounds of ammo for them. Some of these rifles were packaged in units of 5 with 100 rounds of ammo each. This was done - in theory - so the rifles could be put to immediate use if the plot to smuggle them into Ireland was discovered while it was underway. The rifles also had the UFV cartouche as shown. Which was obliterated
when captured.

Long story short, the plot was uncovered and the rifles seized. Most were used for drilling, but a few were sent to Ethiopia for use against invading fascists.

I'd sure like to bid on this, but it will no doubt go for a lot more than I want to spend. SW

0000.mark2.jpg
0000.mark2.jpg [ 112.61 KiB | Viewed 14081 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:28 pm 

You won't see this one very often - KKD. This is an Indian mark showing the Carcano was processed at Kirkee Arsenal for use by Indian troops.

With a pressing need for Lee-Enfields to use in combat, captured Carcanos were issued to certain Indian units for drilling and training thus freeing the SMLEs for use by front line troops.

Post war, most of these were destroyed. SW

0000.mark1.png
0000.mark1.png [ 316 KiB | Viewed 13703 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:50 pm 

Chinese markings on a Carcano? Yes, and they're legit. Between the wars, China bought arms and equipment from different "western countries" - most notably Germany who sold them Panzer I light tanks as well as weapons, ammunition and uniform gear.

From Italy they bought 50,000 M91 Carcano rifles with an unspecified amount of ammo for impending war with Japan. Keep in mind, Germany and Italy weren't allied with Japan at this point.

The '25' on the receiver ring is the Chinese calendar designation for 1936. Markings on the stock are of unknown meaning but are indeed Chinese. Notice also the added finger grooves on the stock.

It's very unusual to see one in America. SW

c1 (2).jpg
c1 (2).jpg [ 87.26 KiB | Viewed 11767 times ]

c2 (2).jpg
c2 (2).jpg [ 62.43 KiB | Viewed 11767 times ]

c3 (2).jpg
c3 (2).jpg [ 115.29 KiB | Viewed 11767 times ]

c5 (2).jpg
c5 (2).jpg [ 80.13 KiB | Viewed 11767 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:25 pm 

Hello! I am new here and just bought my first Carcano and wanted to get some insight on it as it is somewhat unique to everything I've found online.

Attachments:
File comment: I can't figure out why anyone would want to remove the serial number, especially incompletely like this.
SN.jpg
SN.jpg [ 280.08 KiB | Viewed 9963 times ]
File comment: And replace it with this.
Stenciled SN.jpg
Stenciled SN.jpg [ 202.86 KiB | Viewed 9963 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:28 pm 

But this is one of those that I've seen posted that have little to no markings. The firing pin has been sheared off at the end as well, so maybe for parade or other similar use?

Attachments:
Top of Reciever.jpg
Top of Reciever.jpg [ 280.23 KiB | Viewed 9963 times ]
Bottom of Barrel.jpg
Bottom of Barrel.jpg [ 208.96 KiB | Viewed 9963 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:22 pm 

My first thought was an 8mm conversion, but the receiver has neither the S marking nor the cut for 8mm spitzer ammo. Very late war in any case if not a post war put together.

The black paint puts me in mind of an Egyptian refurb, but no way to confirm that.

Rear sights with no caliber designation are not unheard of and are usually on post war guns. No other markings to be seen - even on the stock?

And! Welcome to the site! :bigrin: SW

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next