[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Pics from kaintuck

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Pics from kaintuck
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:14 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Mostly of his stinky shop foreman, but he can describe what's up with the gun. SW

20160723_055100_resized.jpg
20160723_055100_resized.jpg [ 1013.96 KiB | Viewed 11920 times ]

20160723_055145_resized.jpg
20160723_055145_resized.jpg [ 1.91 MiB | Viewed 11920 times ]

Here's two more involving a hardened steel pin that broke in a blind hole. He tells me he had all the fun he wanted getting the pin out. I believe it!! SW

20160723_055904_resized (1).jpg
20160723_055904_resized (1).jpg [ 782.25 KiB | Viewed 11917 times ]

20160723_064319_resized.jpg
20160723_064319_resized.jpg [ 920.34 KiB | Viewed 11917 times ]

Post subject: Re: Pics from kaintuck
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:35 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Tomtom and me worked more on the Lexington riffle....taking wood off.....tomtom helped .....
I did have one problem, I used a hardened pin that's hidden, the front pin on the TG...I bent a L in it......but, it broke off at the bend :crzy: :-( :-o leaving a tiny bit exposed......I worked it out.....slowly.... :kap:
I will find a better pin for the next one!!!!!!!

The Death Star came up......and the thermometer started rising.....so we quit....but it's ready for the RR entry pipe to be inlet.....

Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:39 am 

He sent these pics of the ramrod entry pipe which is being inletted here. SW

20160724_132334_resized.jpg
20160724_132334_resized.jpg [ 844.17 KiB | Viewed 11898 times ]

20160724_141514_resized.jpg
20160724_141514_resized.jpg [ 820.23 KiB | Viewed 11898 times ]

20160724_163209_resized.jpg
20160724_163209_resized.jpg [ 582.43 KiB | Viewed 11898 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:37 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

It's about 1/16" shy of being fully bedded(no no no NOT paris!)....
I got tired, and it was suppertime.......so, I'll finish another day....then remove alotta the wood, slope the 2 sides, then onto the front 2 RR thimbles and nose cap....
:jmp:

this thread needs a paris picture................with this heat, I wonder where she sweats~~~~ :ow: :crzy:

marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice careful work , you do it so well

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:23 pm 

And here we have the ramrod pipe fully inletted by kaintuck under the watchful eye of his shop foreman... who sometimes doesn't use deodorant! SW

0000.rrp1.jpg
0000.rrp1.jpg [ 168.15 KiB | Viewed 11880 times ]

0000.rrp2.jpg
0000.rrp2.jpg [ 173.54 KiB | Viewed 11880 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:25 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Thank you hogger!!!!
Notice all the chips and dust on the table?....that got cleaned up fast....before youknowwho saw it!! :-?
Anyhoo, I need to drill the pin next, but it's so hot here, maybe Saturday, I'll feel rested by then....
Y'all notice the stripes on this stock?......she should be pretty when it's finished....but I'm not gonna hurry, it's a hobby.... :kap:

Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:37 pm 

Three more. These relate to how he drills for ramrod thimble pins. He sez his shop foreman was too hot to pose for pics today. SW

0000.rr1.jpg
0000.rr1.jpg [ 167 KiB | Viewed 11815 times ]

0000.rr2.jpg
0000.rr2.jpg [ 158.47 KiB | Viewed 11815 times ]

0000.rr3.jpg
0000.rr3.jpg [ 179 KiB | Viewed 11815 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:26 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Thank you hogger!
Boys.....ot was a real burner here in ten today :kap: ...I mowed the grass and replaced one railroad tie along the driveway....and that burned me out for the day!!!
After lunch, I pulled the Lexington riffle down, last Saturday got the thimbles bedded in, but not drilled.
The jig is a bought jig from a fellow in another forum, he makes a different type now....but a long bit is placed into the one hollow bolt, and slowly drilled thru to the other side.
I like to drill only to the brass ear, thru hard maple, it takes a few cleanings, I don't want the 1/16" bit to wander......then I remove the jig, rr thimble and drill the brass by hand...then reassemble everything, and the jig, and the drill completely thru.
A person CAN use a drill press....but my shop ain't air conditioned ..... :crzy:
After these pics, I placed the nose cap also.....so, now we just start shavin wood.....there's more of the 250 buck wood blank on the floor now, than is on the rifle :-?
Tomtom didn't wanna help today.....to tired, to hot... :tinhat:

Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:06 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

often seems that the expensive blank is more on the floor than on the rifle but then that is part of the "sculpting" one looses whats not needed to find the work of art held within , an artist eye sees what is within the raw material and his hands bring it forth - ive already told you i believe your the artist here and the craftsman who combines the materials to produce a useful tool that is a work of art

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:45 pm 

More work on this rifle. Here we see the shop foreman checking that the stock is symmetrical after being thinned. Much more of that expensive blank now lays on the floor.

I see the shop foreman has a big dish of cat stars... for such an important job, he should be eating canned cat food! ;) :bigrin: SW

20160813_175129_resized.jpg
20160813_175129_resized.jpg [ 942.98 KiB | Viewed 11759 times ]

0000.kat1.jpg
0000.kat1.jpg [ 241.28 KiB | Viewed 11759 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:49 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

dont know of catfood but seeing what is being done deserves admiration , unless you are a sculptrer im not sure you appreciate the work involved or the intricacy of fitting these so finely ,

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:16 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

You guys are kind....I see all my mistakes, I consider a good rifle, is one I wouldn't change anything once it's done.....so far...I haven't achieved that!!!
A fellow bought the Moravian rifle, so it's ready to ship to Montana monday.
I haven't ever heard back from the fellow that bought my cannon, maybe he just displays it....but, he could be hunting wild hogs with it...he IS in texas~~
This Lexington riffle is at the 20% stage...where it takes 80% of work, and it looks like 4hrs of work didn't do a thing!
Around the nose is tedious with dips and curves....and around the RR entry, then the whole length of the RR Grove needs a straight line gouged, to make the eye think 'slim' to the forend.....but get it wavy, and it screws the whole rifle......so, sometime, tomom needs to be lock outta the shop at these points.....he trys to help with his big head right in my way....
We will skinny it up more before that patch box is started.....and it's gonna be the biggest one to date.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:07 pm 

In this pic, our hero has scraped the stock rather than sanded it. He can explain the whys and wherefores of that process. SW

0000.kat3.jpg
0000.kat3.jpg [ 133.25 KiB | Viewed 11737 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:35 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Thank you again for posting....
See where I stopped scraping and the ruff of the rasp work?
I have worked the stock down quite a bit with my favorite rasp, but now it's a scrapers job. I could make small blocks of wood and sand, but sanding will tear the wood sometimes, pull out, I think they call it. A scraper cuts the wood like a wood plane....tiny little curls....I have a set of metal scrapers in all sizes. I can also use broken glass for that final scraping....the wood will still go thru wetting then heating to raise the grain, and steel wool rubbin.....
But THAT is a long way off.....the wood is to bulky and the decorative groove along the forearm needs to be cut in.......
Tiredness now is setting in...it's Rainey sunday evening here in tenn.....so, tomatoe sandwhich suppertime......Have a good evening yall....
Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:19 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

"This Lexington riffle is at the 20% stage...where it takes 80% of work, and it looks like 4hrs of work didn't do a thing!" they part of the process that really counts , the part that starts to form the finished product into the piece of art they actually are

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:50 am 

Here we have pics of the thinning process. Seems ironic to spend so much for a walnut board only to have about half of it swept up and thrown away.

I think that's the plan, though... take a walnut board and remove everything that doesn't look like a flint lock stock. ;)

An electric Dremel??? Your Amish pals might have a comment about that! :rotflma: SW

0000.fl1.jpg
0000.fl1.jpg [ 139.78 KiB | Viewed 11700 times ]

0000.fl2.jpg
0000.fl2.jpg [ 204.39 KiB | Viewed 11700 times ]

0000.fl3.jpg
0000.fl3.jpg [ 191.85 KiB | Viewed 11700 times ]

0000.fl4.jpg
0000.fl4.jpg [ 151.81 KiB | Viewed 11700 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:54 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

That there is a battery operated Dremel.....that's permitted :rotflma:
I used it around the lock area to just get that radii purty........ :thnk:
The big deal is barely noticeable in the pictures....the little line along the forearm, the line will form the groove......the groove will be a step for a slight dish that will run parallel to the barrel and RR........

Fun getting everything straight.......but it a hobby.....kinda like finding a good thing on Lindsey...... :crzy: :P

Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:50 pm 

These pics show the slight concavity being made along the ramrod channel. Extra touches like this separate good flintlocks from the truly superb. SW

0000.fl5.jpg
0000.fl5.jpg [ 114.84 KiB | Viewed 11694 times ]

0000.fl6.jpg
0000.fl6.jpg [ 112.91 KiB | Viewed 11694 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:11 am 

More finishing touches. SW

0000.kat5.jpg
0000.kat5.jpg [ 115.82 KiB | Viewed 11625 times ]

0000.kat6.jpg
0000.kat6.jpg [ 162.6 KiB | Viewed 11625 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next