Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A close call!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:54 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

A tornado touched down in Bayard last evening which took the roof off the nursing home. Damaged the HS and pretty well trashed the cemetery. It hit 5 blocks from younger daughter's place.

By the Grace of God, all 4 of them were unhurt and no damage to their house. The geezers were relocated to the HS auditorium for the time being. It will be a mess getting all that straightened out.

Same storm went through Haystack - lots of rain & pea size hail but no substantial damage. No damage to our place. Another tornado touched down in cattle country - tore up some fence but that was about it.

Cell service was disrupted in Bayard. Wifey & older daughter loaded up & were going there to make sure everybody was all right. They finally got through & since everyone was all right & a lot of emergency vehicles were headed that way, they came back.

I talked to younger daughter & she made a comment about extreme excitement being an effective natural laxative.

I believe it! ;)

Have your tornado plan in place, Friends! SW

Post subject: Re: A close call!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:39 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i just got rebooted after the weekend storm here disrupted my interweb , we had lots of wind in certain places with lots of damage , that missed me for once , but not like you , im glad everyone is OK , those can be very disruptive to ones normal decorum ,

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:11 pm 

Bayard got power back late Thursday as younger daughter & family were having supper in a nearby church. Some agency was also handing out bottled water - as much as people could carry off.

Turns out there were several tornados in the area. South of Alliance, 65 coal cars from different trains were tipped over.

When I was working, the RR always said if we could see a funnel, we were to take cover in a ditch.

Ha! Not likely! If a storm is strong enough to toss a 200 ton motor around, it might land on me in the ditch.

I was never close to a funnel, but I was close enough to a lightning strike once that you could see steam where it vaporized water from the ongoing rain storm.

There were some section guys not far away & you should have seen the high knee action with them running to the bus!

A bit later, another bolt smacked a signal mast, knocking out the signal system & there we sat until a van came with a relief crew.

Happily, all that is a non-issue now! SW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

glad to hear things are getting back to normal - had to be difficult for those displaced ,

had a number of close calls along the way mostly in the boat and camping , but i did loose the tree off the bedroom corner a few years back - missed the house and me by inches , no damage and im still here - not my time