Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: had to say goodbye to another furry friend today.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:47 am 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

Socks has been a good kitty for us since he joined our family about 7 years ago. He was not himself so I took him to vet on Saturday. His liver has failed and he was down to a very gaunt 5lbs. I was not ready to say good bye. Nothing can be done. Doc was able to give him a shot, some sup Q fluids and a pill. The remainder of the day He was my velcro kitty. snuggling and purring. Yesterday he was again very lethargic and spent the day with mom. He slept with her last night. This morning I took him to vet to say good bye.

I have been to the Humane Society and will be rescuing 2. A full grown long hair calico and a small kitten that looks just like Socks. His name will be Junior.
They were bringing Junior to the vet for neutering as I was leaving this morning.

Attachments:
File comment: Junior
26994008_1630249503734435_2682015047775226507_n.jpg
26994008_1630249503734435_2682015047775226507_n.jpg [ 55.58 KiB | Viewed 5341 times ]
File comment: he will be very missed.
27459897_1630613630364689_5087173597234300918_n.jpg
27459897_1630613630364689_5087173597234300918_n.jpg [ 76.06 KiB | Viewed 5341 times ]

Post subject: Re: had to say goodbye to another furry friend today.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:44 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

It hurts to lose a friend like that. You have my sincere sympathy. SW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:43 pm 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

thanks

I can get Junior tomorrow. Today I brought home a full grown Calico. She had been in the shelter for over a year. It may take a few days for her to open up. She is hiding out for now. Patience is gonna be the key here.

Her name is Calli.

Attachments:
26994128_1632254200200632_2405237697686999717_n.jpg
26994128_1632254200200632_2405237697686999717_n.jpg [ 59.33 KiB | Viewed 5332 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:51 pm 

Open a can of tuna or sardines - that's a good way to break the ice with cats! 8-) SW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:24 pm 
Major
Major

I don't know how old Socks was, but it does not matter, it hurts even if they have lived a full life. Sorry for your loss.

Calicos can be cantankerous. We had one show up with a broken tail last year. Vet said that she was probably climbing a tree and a dog grabbed hold of it. The rest had to be amputated after 1/3 fell off so all she has now is a stub. Because of her temperament we call her Scarlet as from Gone With the Wind.

She has improved in disposition since then, but she still does not play well with the others.

Older cats sometimes are more difficult to adopt, but Calli's temperament? Only time will tell. You are lucky to have a shelter that will keep animals that long. Our local shelter does not do this and I hate reading the newspaper reports of how many are euthanized every week. If people were more responsible this would not happen.

It was not cats that wiped out the 3-5 billion passenger pigeons in the new world. I have to stop now before I get going in a downward spiral about mankind.

Last edited by oldernavy on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:49 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sad to hear you lost your friend , i understand even tho i do not have them and have not for years , i did grow up with a shepard that was mine from birth , i dont think ive ever gotten over that loss , maybe one day ill venture out again , im very sorry to hear of yours but i am pleased to know you have opened your hearts to the new ones that will become part of your family , there are so many that need good homes and good families to become a part of ,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:57 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

So sorry Bud, know what it's like to lose a friend. We lost our girl last April after having her for 10 years.
Ya did the right thing though there are to many in shelters that need a good home and a loving family. They will gradually fit in a become part of the family, just takes some time.
We just adopted another female Akita pup ( 1+yrs old) Sat. Had to run to St. Louis on a turn and burn to get her. She had been in shelters in TX and MO for almost a year. Not many social graces, but she's catching on fast, treats help!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:54 am 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

brought Junior home yesterday. He is hiding in spare bedroom. He is at 6 months but has spent half his life in shelter. I was surprised to hear that they have some cats that have been in the shelter for years. They have one that has free run of the place that has been there for 8 years. He as become their "dog tester". Seems he likes dogs and if he walks up to them and rubs on them the pass the cat friendly test. Lady there says people always want the 6 to 8 week kittens. Would rescue them all if I could.

Calli is venturing out from under the desk some now. Playing with a string toy and she purrs like a motor boat. Still not petting. Waiting for her to decide it is ok. She has started to sniff my hand some. Figure another day or 2 and she will be taking some loving.

May have to bring a playmate home for Junior to get him out of hiding.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:03 pm 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

Update:
Calli is all over the house now (even upstairs). Still not seeking affection.

Junior is a little love bug. Still a little skittish but he is all over me when I sit down on the floor. Purrs like a motor boat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:45 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sounds like things will be back to the new normal soon , the adjustment is hard - we see it in the critters , im hoping you are adjusting as well , the loss was big , the adjustment is big , i admire that you put yourself out there for these new critters so soon , they deserve your love as the previous did , they want it but don't trust till its established , i get that ,

i commend you again on offering a good life to those that have not had it , it is our american way - it extends to those humans that want to be americans bu it is what we do for the pets we accept into our lives as well , we are a humane people even if the one political party wants to make us seem not so ,

im sorry to introduce an obvious political statement - i thought - then rethought - then rethought again , i cannot help but think that this is all , ALL tied together , there are none of us that i know of that are against immigration , there are many -i think , that are in favor of using the system and abiding by the rules - we welcome them , with open arms , we are upset with those that dont follow the rules ,

much like the adoption system in animal control , there are criteria they must meet prior to acceptance ,

dont get m4e wrong im not comparing humans to animals here - im simply saying we have regulations and laws in place - respect them the same way that animal owners are forced to , there is good reason for them ........sorry for that soap box , i hope your new family members are in your laps and feeling at home very soon , you did everything right as all good americans do ,