Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uberti 1858 in .36 cal
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:07 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I recently purchased a Uberti 1858 Remington revolver, and I noticed that conversion cylinders are chambered for .38 special not .38 long Colt what gives and that you use heal bullets with them? I understand the bore diameter but why the special case, not the long colt?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:07 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I think the only difference between the 2 calibers is case length so you could shoot 38 long Colt in the 38 spl cylinder like shooting 38 specials in a 357 cylinder.

So far I've been too cheep to buy a heeled bullet mold & just load regular 36 cal round balls. SW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:14 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Been thinking about it off and on, noticed the 1851Colts use the long Colt cases

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:38 pm 

Yes - the 1851 Cylinder I bought was marked 38 Colt, but specials dropped right in with plenty of room to spare. SW

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=10923

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:00 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Is the long Colt case larger in diameter or the same as the special case?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:27 pm 

I looked in COTW for specs, and it looks like .002" at the most. I wouldn't try swapping things around in vintage guns, but don't have a problem with it in these modern cylinders. SW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:35 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Thank you for the info, it will help if I get one

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i picked up an 1858 remington in 44cal , with the 45 colt conversion so i can shoot my cowboy loads in it , it shoots real nice but the loading and unloading is not so easy for a fumble finger like me , have all i can do with the 1873 loading gate , pulling the cylinder every load is way more intense , i do love these old revolvers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:36 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I do have a pietta 1851 that I put a Howell .45 conversion I think, had to file all the spurs so it would time correctly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:03 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Well I ordered a Howell .38 conversion cyl for my Uberti .36 cal 1858, it's for shooting .38 spl. Will a heel bullet fit in the cyl. The black powder heel bullet is .375, I'm thinking it will not work. Has anyone tried this?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:58 pm 

A heeled .375 bullet is the correct one. Unfortunately, Buffalo Arms hasn't had one in stock for quite a while.

I barely seat a .375 ball in a 38 spl case & get by that way.

Forgot to add you might need to trim the 38 cases so a loaded cartridge will fit in the cylinder. SW

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:40 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Hey what gives with buffalo Arms? They seem to have very little these last few years?for several years I watched some of there reproduction guns and seem to always be short on guns compared to years in the past.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:29 pm 

I think a lot of it is the current gun & ammo hoarding trend. I'm on the list to get one of the heeled bullets when they're back in stock.

I have a good supply of linotype metal and meant to order molds from Grafs… they're pretty much out of everything - even odd calibers.

Bullets? Forget that, too. Strange times indeed. SW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:35 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Well I used a bullet, made from a Lee .36 cal black powder pistol mold. I loaded them in a .38 special case, swelling out like a pregnant cow! They didn't fit in my .38 special conversion cyl.
My home made resizer is actually drilled then honed down to .378 which is still a little too tight but will go in with a little extra push!
I haven't had a chance to tryout this loaded ammo yet I only used 2 grns of trail boss powder under this lead heeled bullet. They even cycled through my Rosi 1892 in .357/.38 special.

Last edited by shootster on Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:54 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Well I fired the revolver with these bullets five hit the paper and all where really light pet loads but the last one I could not find a hole in the paper so concluded it was a flyer. So I tried them in my 357 Rossi and they were very accurate but pet loads . until I cleaned the 1858 revolver and there was bullet stuck in the barrel. The good thing out of this is that the .375 heeled bullet in the .375 diameter barrel was successful in grabbing the rifling on the 1858 Uberti. More powder is next! I am grateful I didn't have a bad day!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:14 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

musta been the last round ?

been running about 3grn red dot / bulls eye / 700x and 3.5grn unique to stay in that 650fps of the cowboy loads

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:30 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Fortunately it was the last shot before trying the rest of them in my 1892 Rossi replica

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:22 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I loaded my .38 conversion Cyl. With 4.2 grns trail boss with a .375 dia. 135 grn heel Bullet . I got about 700 fps , and going to step it up a little more.
If I can reach 800 fps I think that might be where I want it?

I think most of my shooting for the foreseeable future is going to be muzzle loaders seeing how primers are just about extinct for the common man. I hope everybody that's buying up all the primers and shooting supplies then selling them on gunbroker and eBay got to sell off cheap in the end. What little I want still cost too much for my wallet. I noticed all the lee bullet molds are on eBay for outrageous prices ! Sold out everywhere else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

you can , that should still be safe in what your doing without a lot of thought but , these replicas are made for cowboy loads and 650-700 is normal , im not telling you they wont take more , im just advising of what they are designed for ,

FWIW as to diameter , the colt and s&wspcl are similar , the length varies , but the 38S&W is a larger diameter case but much shorter , i doubt they will go in - but the bullet diameter is also larger and could cause serious issues ,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:04 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

So you think I should stay where I am? 700 fps. This is what I got .38 special conversion cyl. Shooting out a 1858 .375 bore, so I loaded a .38 special case with a .375 heel bullet. Yes it don't fit with a bulging case, so I made a resizing sleeve at .378 diameter bore and a base with the base drilled out so the primer is protected because I resize the entire assembled cartridge to squeeze the case back in so it will fit into the cylinder, I also drilled the opposing side of the resizing sleeve smaller to use a 1/4 inch rod slightly counter sunk to push out the resized cartridge against the lead bullet to eject the reloaded cartridge safely. then I have a cartridge that shoots nicely with the proper bullet diameter. I should have made it at .375 but honed it a little too much. You do have to give it a little push into the cyl. When loading the conversion cyl.