[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Gittn' 'er done

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gittn' 'er done
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:41 pm 
Captain
Captain

Yaaaaa........
Been along week.
Several Caribou got dryed up now, actually had to quit hunting them as we ran outta room, effort and time. Just caught some the first couplea days and dryed them and their hides up. They're great hides for clothing, and as the wife has a contract to out fit a Japanese museum with some parkees, this is the way we make it pay $$$ with our roaming.

Then we FINNALY landed to camp, after a long week, and the only motors we could get working were our little Mercurys, 4 horse(!!!) But one had a bulge in the underwater, so that one was out as well......something Im not hot about when it comes to crossing the Kotzebue sound wit a load and a 4 horse... :lol :lol :lol . Soooooooooo after scoring the Mammoth, and having plenty of Meat , berrys and such, we used our VHF and called up our partners in Buckland who had originally lannded our butts last Saturday, and took the ride home. That lil' 4 hrs would have done it all right, but with a FULL load, I would have out walked that baby no problemo!Tony and his son as well as mine have been moving and doing together, and hes been most of the boating, as well ,'cause my outboard is a F+%#*&G Lemon, so I was glad to be doing the hunting, and we all benifit quite well :P :P :P

Well, heres what I got downloaded so far;

Dinner....Caribou, local onions, sourdox, Salmon berries and a BIG pot of coffee

Yours truely with his new set of Mammth tusks :D
Yep! Both sides! one is busted in half, but that can be fixxed for display.
One side tusk is fairly 10G or 120 Mosin nagant m91/30's :P Both side fairly triples that! Whos got 30G or, better yet, 360 Mosins to trade??? :grin:

Tony came along as requested and spent his spare $$$ on gas and landed us at home, this afternoon.
We split things 50/50 with who ever we crew up with, as the boat gets 1/2 every time, and I couldnt have partnerd up with a better fellow. Same age as I and his son and mine are too.Couldnt have done it without them!!!
Ahhhhhhhhh, yes, it fanally downloaded.......
I was a using the oldest daughters Sako, as Ive broken my extractor(Again) any one got spare?Hahhahaahh, just kidding, I'll buy another.
You can hear the shells "Ching chingin' in my pocket.
Jon had a hangup on his .303 #5 with big round soft points, though he was smart enough to bring along some Iraqi ammo Old Arisaka sent up(dated 1906!!!) that was FMJ and totally reliable.....and filled out his week ;) ............but just not that time...he'll blow them big round soft points off some other day :P You live, you learn.
Im glad he grabbed the camera when I offer'd the rifle, as we have a code; he who sees first shoots first; then the next gets to bat if theres a chance. Hes caught plenty of Caribou, so it was no big deal to let dad squeeze in a shot .....man, I love that kid :D
Still the Caribou is the little dot at the water line, and I got 'em as he was walking down the sand ridge the waves make and put it through his trachia and out his elbow, but clipped the top of his heart in a "Cross shot"at about 250 yards, though he ran about 75 yards straight at us when I hit him, thank you Mr.Caribou :D
Gotta love those Sako's, too!

Last edited by ehailstone on Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:42 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

:ow: :ow: :ow: :ow: :ow: .....I am speechless.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:46 am 
Captain
Captain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:42 am 
Captain
Captain

I started out with the camera, wanting to film one of us shooting, and Jon chose to shoot. Fine untill son Jon hit low, and as he cycled, the next shell nosed in on the magizine edge. Big round soft points = failure to feed. He was struggling and the Caribou was walking tward us , getting close from 300yards
Anyhoo, I offered my rifle, but he grabbed the camera insted, so I sat and shot. He then returned the camera and I finnished off the vid.
'Bout time I got some decent footage! Usually we all want to shoot. ;)

Any volenteers? :lol :lol :lol :lol

Yaaaaaaaaa.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:34 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:50 pm 
Captain
Captain

Kreig,
Mammoth hunting is my specialty. I actually have people who have enough faith in my ability to put down their gas and time to get me out there. I have always been able to do good.I used to be partnerd up with a fellow, and we had some REALLY good years. I used mammoth $$$ to build my house in Noorvik. The Ocean has more in it than fish.
This year has been a lousy mammoth year because we have had Sunshine and dry. The grass has taken root and covers up the mus, so Its not sliding away, exposing the critters I look for. We have had NO storms for wave action to sluice out the "Goods". A Rainy year is a Mammoth hunting year. Also, rainy years keep the wimps home and us wet and camping, relentlessly. Staying close to home this summer hasnt been too bad, though, and I have too many places I still need to check over for more "Stuffs"
Yep, that was a Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong shot alright.
Thing of it is ,there was a 4 foot high sand ridge, made by the waves, and as we approched the caribou noticed us right away about 500 yards in all. Well, he was what we call "Educated', and started trotting off down the beach as we headed to intercept, he made it to a sort of "Point" and by cutting tward him we closed that to about 300 yards.
one thing about Caribou, they love to swim. That little singatchaiq is about 2 feet deep bottomed out in deeper mud, so driving him or the boat into that water was a big "No-no"...we actualy would have just let him go if he hadnt stopped there.
What he did do, as Caribou do, was stop for a "Last look'. Thats when Jon took his shot. Having a carbine and 300 yards, I told him to shoot for mid mass, but as you see, he hit about 6 inches below the Caribou's chest and lucky for us , the Caribou turned tward us and trotted our way along the little ridge. I shot just as he was comming down the little slope, his tail about level with his head and the bullet I sent his way hit through his trachia and exit'd'd his elbow, cross shot as we call it. Sure hate to ruin good meat like that, as I preferr front quarter meat, but the rest was fine and the hide a needed commodity.

I very rarly make such long shots, but thats "Why" I pack the M-39, and gave up Carbines. That extra "Strech" on the open tundra really helps when I need it. I am not that bad of a shot anyway. I can say, in total honesty, The longest shot Ive ever made was about 900 yards, on a tiny spek of a Caribou, in the head.... Really, a TOTAL "SLOP" shot, as I didnt expect to hit it at all, but then again we had a "Wager"( Gotta shoot then, ya know) so I took the shot and then took the 15 gallons of gas we had agreed between the 4 of us. The other guys had all missed, and I was last, shooting a a Caribou who still didnt know we were there, shooting, truley.... and I never in my life would have took such a shot, but sometimes your "Hot" and some times your "not". I took that shot because it was just fun, I 'somehow 'hit, and I got the gas, the Caribou and let them tell the story :P You shoulda heard all of us as one "Holy Chit!!!", as it keeled over, dead as stone, and then the "Walk" as we counted off the paces, trying not to just run up and see. 920 paces (Arshin's ;) )
I have thousands of storys about the ones I missed, and only a few good ones about such long distance "Hits"so I close with them untill I know they are gonna split, and sometimes they need another shot, even two, to stop them from running off wounded.
I did a simular thing with my Broomhandle too, once :P

We all have our "Day" and I was lucky enough to finnaly get something on camera, and I promise, its not the last, either. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:58 pm 
Captain
Captain

gee forgot where I was............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:04 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....well I'm gettin' another one and watchin' that video again.... :lol .....any video down here would be boring... :lol :lol :lol :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:36 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Wow, how far was that shot? Good to see the old 303, mine jams the same way on softpoints. Always the last two or three in the clip hang up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:21 pm 
Captain
Captain

I figure 250 give or take 10 yards, as the shot fairly went were I wanted it placed, Might add that that I leveled it on the top line of his neck and it hit about 6 inches low of that. My sight is "Battle set" at 150, and Im a Kaintuk windage kina guy. I estimated, took the shot and was happy at that. Its the cross shooting that blew through his elbow. A bit higher would have been spinal , and I was just below that. Heard the hit more than i saw it, but the vid reveals all.......
The Caribou is but a speck in the vid, just "Below" the water , kina moving around... feel free to disagree.
;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:56 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....well I counted the "jiggles" in the camera movement and got 260 or so....so considering each step was +- a yard,I'd say you are quite accurate... :lol ;) ............I would've taken a shot-if I hit it or not is another story... :lol :lol :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:57 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

That's a lot of mosins! maybe now's the time to get yourself a nice Swiss k-31 :)

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:57 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Coming in VERY late. Elated that the serriously old Iraqi .303 was worth the shipping...and it was!!!!
Oh yeah, nice shot hunter-guy! 8)
jon