Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Enfield collection
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:41 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I have an antique wardrobe from the 20's that I restored after it was damaged by a housefire, nice Rosewood veneer from what I can tell of the grain.
It has a cedar lined stand up mini-closet on one side and five deep strurdy drawers on the other.
It weighs a ton, with the top panel thick oak covered by veneer, the sides are nearly as thick.
I've been using the drawers for storing ammo and reloading supplies plus, a few pistols, holsters , belts and other odds and ends.
The closet part is big enough to hold a half dozen rifles, but so far I just use it for my telescope and a few old airguns and one shotgun I ran out of room for on the racks.
I'm cleaning out a disused bedroom where I'd stored a lot of old stuff I don't really need. That room is in the older part of the house and has a much sturdier hardwood floor. I'm planning to set up a workroom/gunroom there and move the wardrobe in and add some proper partitions and such so the rifles can be put there in an orderly manner.
I've found that though the front wood of the lower four drawers match the grain of the rest of the wood perfectly the drawers are about 31/2 inches short , leaving an open space behind them. Theres room to add a false backing with room for two rifles, and a few other things stashed safely should someone get into the wardrobe proper.
Wood of course is not as fire resistent as metal but with proper internal bracing it could be secured so that a burglar would need a chainsaw or a heavy axe to get into it.

Sorry no pictures yet. My el cheapo still camera can't take pictures indoors, and Rado Shack says I'll need an extra expansion card for this PC to use a Firewire to download stills from my Mini DV camcorder.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

A MANROOM :D yea , we need photos as you go , some of us are still armwresteling our wives for such a space , :( , and looseing :( :( :( :( :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:28 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

The secret to my success lay in getting the first gun rack in the bedroom. Once I had a foothold, they kept multiplying until all useable wall space was filled - then I double racked them :lol
Nothing annoys the wife worse than having a buddy over that's interested in your collection and spending hours in "her bedroom" drooling over rifles. I guarantee she will do anything to get them out of "her room" - all you have to do is get that initial foothold.

Who said men can't be devious :twisted: