Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Tenvoorde moves to fourth generation next week
By Britt Johnsen • bljohnsen@stcloudtimes.com • December 24, 2008
A 105-year-old local business has a brand-new owner, but like always, it’s staying in the family.

Dave Tenvoorde of Tenvoorde Ford will retire as owner Dec. 31. He worked at the company for more than 50 years.

“It’s exciting for him,” said Mike Tenvoorde, 37, Dave’s nephew. Mike will replace his uncle next week when he starts his job as the new owner of Tenvoorde Ford.

Dave Tenvoorde could not be reached for comment.

Mike Tenvoorde, of St. Cloud, is the fourth generation of family owners of Tenvoorde Ford. Jack Tenvoorde, Mike Tenvoorde’s father, had been president of the local company until his death in November 2007. He was 68 years old.

Jack Tenvoorde’s grandfather, Stephen Tenvoorde, started the business in 1903. In the 1940s it was passed on to Stephen’s son, Cyril Tenvoorde. In the 1980s it was passed on to Jack Tenvoorde.

Mike Tenvoorde said in an interview at his office that he has been purchasing ownership over the last seven to eight years. Now that Dave is leaving he’ll buy the remaining shares. He would not disclose details of the purchase.

He said he has no plans for major changes, such as new stores or moves. The main goal is to maintain what they’ve always done.

The business was incorporated as a Ford dealership in March 1903, three months before Ford Motor Co. was incorporated, according to a written statement from Tenvoorde Ford. It is the oldest family-owned Ford dealership in the world, according to the statement.

Despite the doom-and-gloom of the auto industry, “Ford is still a strong company,” Mike Tenvoorde said. Ford is among the automakers to lay off workers and ask the government for a bailout deal, which was approved by the Bush administration this week.

“The business will grow as long as you don’t change the founding principles,” Tenvoorde said, citing customer and employee satisfaction as fundamentals.

At the St. Cloud store, they’ve made behind-the-scenes tweaks to withstand the economic downturn. They’ve reduced their inventory by about 30 percent, Tenvoorde said. Instead of keeping as much inventory on site, they have been using an online catalog.

He said they’ve done what they could to not lay off workers, but have still cut 5 percent of their employees in the last few years. They now have about 65 on staff.

Tenvoorde, who started at age 16 cleaning cars and gradually working his way up the company, said his uncle Dave deserves congratulations. Dave’s accomplishments include helping move the dealership from Fifth Avenue to Roosevelt Road, Mike Tenvoorde said. That risk took foresight to move the company to what was at the time an intersection of dirt roads, he said. But he must have known it would become a bustling intersection, Tenvoorde said.

Mike Tenvoorde is looking to the future.

“A place that’s been here 105 years is going to continue to be here,” he said.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:44 pm 
That's awesome . . . my F150 has been good to me :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

it is pretty cool - gary has posted about the story these guys got set up as the first dealership ,

there have been local reumers of them going out of buissness , but i think probably they are based in this change of ownership ,

we have these coffee clutches that meet for breakfast here [i learned of them when i moved here 25 years ago - had someone try to recruite me ] they pass inside info around , can be good for buissness and can be bad , but all of the "insiders" work them ,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:22 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Mike, the 71 Ford Galaxie 500 wagon I had came from Tenvoorde. It lasted about about 30 years, which included service in MN and several years at Minot, ND. I eventually let it go to the junk, as the firewall was rusted out and leaked into the pass. compartment, and the bottom end of the 400 ci. engine had gotten noisy. I didn't want to put any money into a big gas burner (and that was before $4.00 a gallon fuel).

I kept my 72 Ford Custom 500 wagon, which has the 351C and that one isn't quite so fuel-thirsty. It's in much better overall condition.